Adam Goodes

Discuss everything related to the Arts, Crafts, Hobbies, Sports, Pets & Vets, Entertainment, TV, etc.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Adam Goodes

Post by mavisbramston » 01 Aug 2018, 21:51

I love Ahn Dohs show. Superbly different painter, rich, vibrant and honest.
But his true gift is as an interviewer.
Tonight was Adam Goodes.
What a gutsy inspiring and beautiful man.
The way he was treated by some scum was deplorable. I hope that revolting girl who insulted him saw the show.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Adam Goodes

Post by Dreamweaver » 01 Aug 2018, 22:00

In 2006, Goodes became just the 12th man in AFL history to claim two Brownlow Medals after another glittering season for the Swans. Only until late in his career did he experience one of the ugliest moments he ever endured on a footy field.

Goodes was labelled an “ape” by a Collingwood supporter at the MCG during the 2013 Indigenous round, sparking a storm of controversy in the media as the AFL clamped down on racial abuse within the league.
When asked for his one piece of advice for Indigenous kids growing up in Australia, Goodes replied with optimism.

“The world that is being created around them is a lot different to the world 40 years ago (and) the best thing they can do is get a good education because the opportunities are going to be endless for them,” he said.

“We’re going to be looking back in 10 years’ time and kids in university are going to be completely colourblind and will look back at us going ‘what were you guys thinking?’”
https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/s ... a2363d43a6
I dream, therefore I am.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 01 Aug 2018, 22:25

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/common/images/ ... 00_460.jpg

Anh Do became famous in Australia as The Happiest Refugee; and as an extremely talented writer, comedian and painter. But the multi-skilled Anh has another string to his bow that few can match: the ability to get his celebrity talk show guests to relax enough to reveal things about themselves that no one has ever heard before.
https://www.who.com.au/anh-do-reveals-h ... est-secret
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 02 Aug 2018, 18:30

If being called an ape is the worst thing that has happened to Goodes, he has lead a pretty charmed life.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 02 Aug 2018, 21:18

He isn't of the generation that said blue-eyed people were the most advanced, brown eyes were closer to the apes, and aborigines closest of all, really animals. But his grandfather could have told him such tales, so we can't judge just how hurtful it could be. Does he realise we're all just animals? :twocents-mytwocents:
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 03 Aug 2018, 08:54

kfchugo wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 18:30
If being called an ape is the worst thing that has happened to Goodes, he has lead a pretty charmed life.
Pretty disappointed by your comment kfhugo.
Yes yes yes you are entitled to say it but do you seriously think it would go unchallenged.?
Words are the cruelest weapon of all used by bigots. I believe Adams famous dance was one of the greatest most gutsy moments I have ever seen.
I dont think Adam has led a charmed life, but an honourable one. In the face of hate and ignorance he has emerged as a great role model.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Aug 2018, 12:34

There's no excuse for calling an Aboriginal an ape. All black people find it deeply offensive.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 03 Aug 2018, 17:51

I am amazed at the traction this paltry "insult" has achieved.....Goodes has been an elite athlete in a contact sport for many years and would have had his share of bumps and hard knocks.....now he seems to be crying himself to sleep every night over a minor slur. When I look back over my life and think of some of the barbs, insults and derogatory comments I have received, this one stupid comment REALLY pales into insignificance. Likewise the hurtful insults and racial slurs that have been directed at aborigines over the years. Like most other MEN, I have had to "suck it up" and get on with life. I dont need counselling nor do I have any emotional hangups to suffer. OR, is it only RACIAL slurs that warrant such criticism?
To my mind, there is a growing trend among some in minority groups to actively embrace insults or politically incorrect statements and whine and moan that they are being vilified just to attract attention. These minorities can do and say what they like about the average, hard working, white Australians with impunity but a hapless comment like the one under discussion reaps headlines for months or even years. Quite frankly, my sympathies lie with the girl who made the comment in the first place.....I can only imagine the shame and humiliation she has suffered for one ill advised reference.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 03 Aug 2018, 18:41

Hugo, you obviously have no conception of how racial slurs can affect someone. They are felt far, far more deeply than the kind of insults you've experienced.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 03 Aug 2018, 22:40

Interesting that you are able to measure my pain against someone else, Perry. All of this hubbub is mere opinion and none of us can see inside another. Adam Goodes may be an upstanding citizen and a role model for his people.....I dont dispute that. My personal opinion however is that he (and many others) are being rather precious about the whole affair. Why are we going on and on about a few stupid words spoken in anger so long ago? Get over it and get on with life - words cannot be unsaid and procrasted debate and post mortems only serves to fuel racial tensions.

Warrigal
Emerald Member

Post by Warrigal » 04 Aug 2018, 12:13

We all have the capacity to tolerate some insults yet can be devastated by others.
I have a trigger word that provokes me to white hot anger, not so much now as in the past, but it still has power.
No, I'm not going to say what it is.

From the interview I sensed that Goodes is proud of all that he had achieved against considerable odds and to be jeered at and called an ape, not just once but regularly, was something that he decided to take a stand against, not just for him, but for all the young aboriginal players as well.
If you don't have an ASIO file by now then you should be ashamed of yourself.