Accepting opinions

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Accepting opinions

Post by mavisbramston » 28 Sep 2018, 11:31

In this era of Trump and I believe a growing swing to the right its very very difficult for those of the left to accept other peoples rights to express such views.
I dont use the word RESPECT because I dont respectwhat I believe is simply wrong ibut I do accept the democratic right.
Until I read a few peoples views here on religion I not only detested religious people I was frankly afraid of them. I normally associated religious people with bigotry and hate.
I soon learned that not all Christains were anti gay anti feminist anti snag males anti...well you get my drift.
I was shocked how many Chritains came out supporting gay marriage.
Last edited by mavisbramston on 28 Sep 2018, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Re: Accepting opinions

Post by mavisbramston » 28 Sep 2018, 11:33

I believe its difficult to accept the pro Trump people. I have good friends who love Trump.
It sure is hard.
I guess all we can do is accept the right to believe as they choose.
I think I do.
I do draw the line though.
Climate change for example. I really think we do hot have time to politely listen to the sceptics.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 28 Sep 2018, 15:59

we should be accepting of the opinions of others, even if we disagree with them. Respect is another matter....... I have often disagreed with ( and possibly denigrated) the opinions of people for whom I otherwise have great respect.

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 28 Sep 2018, 16:49

I know some people who think Trump is great.
I think they couldn't be further from the truth, but I respect that they have a right the same as anybody else.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 28 Sep 2018, 19:40

Mavis, I think the difference of opinion between left and right often has little to do with intentions or personality. Most people want to solve the problems they see, but by different methods, according to their own background or indoctrination. Most right wingers truly believe in the trickle down effect, and that a little more work ethic would solve poverty. These are good people, just misinformed, or ignorant, I believe.
:twocents-mytwocents:
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 29 Sep 2018, 08:09

I partly agree Dream.
It is all due to upbriging as people say but it is also something deeper.
It is an ingrained hate of anything different. Its also a suspicion of science and indeed education.
Trump often claimed he loves the uneducated poor. More so I think he wants them to stay uneducated.
However the Trump supporters are not just people who believe in trickle down economics.
I think Clinton was totally accurate when she correctly called them deplorables.
Not all of them but having lived in America I can assure you a huge number do not have a problem with the denigration of women. Its all just boys being goys.
I omen say at times most rape victims were probably asking for it.q
Odd that the Bible belt men often lose their pants.
I think they are as dream says ignorant but there is more to it.
It is a mind set based on greed and hate.
It is quite simply. Deplorable.

Trishia

Post by Trishia » 29 Sep 2018, 10:06

I think Trump is a very evil Man, with a giant size EGO.
I think He has caused trouble world wide, trying to get himself publicity.
I DEPLORE the Man.
Religious people have the right to believe what they like. But, they don't have the right to FORCE their beliefs on to others.

I just hope we can all live in PEACE, and that we don't destroy the EARTH and HUMANS, with a third world war.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 29 Sep 2018, 11:54

If you look around the globe, there are a plethora of heads of state or regimes that are egocentric, ambitious, ruthless and/or just plain EVIL. I think the current world political climate is possible as bad or worse than it has ever been and a nuclear conflict is never far from reality. I am constantly reminded of that old chinese curse..... "May you live in interesting times".

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 29 Sep 2018, 18:19

We've entered a dangerous phase with the shift towards autocratic governments. People are fed up with seeing the benefits of economic progress being accrued by a few rather than society in general. The one glimmer of hope is that Trump's behaviour has galvinised opposition to hardline conservatism and we start to see a swing away from politics infected by neoliberal economics.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 29 Sep 2018, 20:54

I should add a rider to what I said. I wasn't speaking of most right wing politicians - I agree they are mainly deplorable. I was rather speaking of right wing voters. At least the ones I know have the best of intentions, but are sadly misinformed.
I dream, therefore I am.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 02 Oct 2018, 09:09

If it true that Trumps economic policies are working ( I am no expert ) then that should not,indeed must not mean, the world should overlook the misogynistic racist cruel bigotry he has used.
It seems to me that the deplorables are willing to over look everything aa long as they can maintain their wealth. I guess we cannot blame them.
I need to point out that when I was in the states the middle class often cried poor when in reality they were doing pretty well compared to those living in the ghettos.
Having cups of tea with North Korean and Russian presidents is impressive , I guess , but it reminds me of Chamerlains fire side chats with Hitler.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 02 Oct 2018, 09:41

Much of the current boom can be attributed to events outside Trump's control, and there are reports that the economy will dip next year and the year after.

Trump is a showman, with no substance. His dallying with Kim Jong Un has achieved nothing. He's being played a fool, as is the case with Putin. He doesn't see it because he has limited awareness of the world around him.

mavisbramston
Bronze Member

Post by mavisbramston » 06 Oct 2018, 14:16

The wisdom of the silver peers community is very uplifting

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 07 Oct 2018, 09:42

In the 'good old days' Trump would have been a quite successful snake oil salesman.

Tedwalker
Bronze Member

Post by Tedwalker » 07 Oct 2018, 15:44

Trump promised to 'drain the swamp'.
It would be good if he drained himself from it.