Marry the 'wrong' person?

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Marry the 'wrong' person?

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Jan 2019, 00:51

This man says a lot about marriage which I don't fully accept. But he makes two main points, which seem to me to be fair enough. Firstly, our expectations are too high, because of Walt Disney (and all fairy tales I presume).
Secondly, we don't recognise love unless our partner has the familiarity of those who showed us love as infants. This sense of familiarity is unfortunately sensed, not reasoned. Which is why we can think we have married the wrong person. Are you game to comment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6K_f7oSdg
I dream, therefore I am.

Trishia

Re: Marry the 'wrong' person?

Post by Trishia » 06 Jan 2019, 09:18

I wonder if that person is happy in a relationship himself???
He is what I would call "A know it all!"
There are so many ways to get the wrong impression of someone.
A Man can be charming an thoughtful before marriage, and then when you are Man and Wife, he becomes a "control freak and a bully!" This is what happened to me in my first marriage.
The second time around, I lived with the Man for 1year.
We are now best friends and have been together for 42 years. True love is when you feel at ease with the other person, and you can discuss anything without losing your cool.

:happy-sunshine:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 06 Jan 2019, 10:19

I just think that because a theory bears weight in certain cases, it need not be always so. I see so many cases where marriages fail because one has married the same (in some way) sort of person as a parent was, and for the same reason many marriages succeed.
But often the partner has faults, and good points, that neither parent had.
I dream, therefore I am.

Biggdad
Gold Member

Post by Biggdad » 06 Jan 2019, 11:00

What is true love? It is a dedication to someone and your relationship with them. It is the willingness to do things and compromise for the betterment of the relationship. It is the willingness to put the relationship above other things and remain committed to making it happier, healthier, and more fulfilling. You do this because you recognize that the relationship is already making you a happier and better person, so staying dedicated to improving it is just a no-brainier. \:D/ :bear_hug