Hopelessness

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Hopelessness

Post by Dreamweaver » 01 Feb 2019, 10:31

Visionaries are able to look into the future and see that though something works successfully now, it will not in the future. In business, the examples of those who did not embrace hopelessness early enough provide a virtual graveyard of failed corporations: Kodak, Blockbuster, Borders books.

But there are also the examples of companies like IBM who were willing to become hopeless that what gave them success would continue to work. IBM began as “CTR” – Computing, Tabulating, Recording. Again and again, they have lost hope in their success product -- tabulating machines, punch card machines, typewriters, personal computers – and moved on to something new. Today, they make billions of dollars selling not machines, but services, to businesses.

Hopelessness is a tool.

BUT.

Hopelessness is a visitor. You allow it to stay a couple of days for a visit, but then hustle it out the door. Don’t let it move in and set up permanent residence.

Hopelessness is a stepping stone, never the end. Hopelessness in your life must always be followed by a comma, never a period, and it is there to lead us to a new hope.

When we decide to be hopeless about what holds us back, what keeps us from growing, then we can welcome in expansive, lifegiving, challenging, realistic hope. Hope that compels us to take faithful risks, to leave what is comfortable in order to be an active partner in building Beloved Community.

Where is the lifesaving hopelessness in your life?
https://faithrocket.org/january-hope-an ... r-essay-2/
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Re: Hopelessness

Post by Perrorist » 01 Feb 2019, 12:00

Hanging on to failures past their tipping point is a common human characteristic. For example, clinging to coal-fired generators when the future is clearly renewables.

Trishia

Re: Hopelessness

Post by Trishia » 01 Feb 2019, 18:36

You know that Perry and I know that. But... how do you persuade the CLODS in the so called Government to think the same way.
We are making climate change WORSE every year we continue to use COAL.

Tony Abbot was the worst! As Prime Minister, he let Adani come into the country and start up coal mines again.
I detest that Man!