How we talk shapes how we think

Matters concerning family, friends, relations, weird & wonderful news, remembering the present and past.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

How we talk shapes how we think

Post by Dreamweaver » 26 May 2019, 09:07

How language shapes the way we think.

Cognitive scientist Lera Boroditsky shares examples of language -- from an Aboriginal community in Australia that uses cardinal directions instead of left and right to the multiple words for blue in Russian -- that suggest the answer is a resounding yes. "The beauty of linguistic diversity is that it reveals to us just how ingenious and how flexible the human mind is," Boroditsky says. "Human minds have invented not one cognitive universe, but 7,000."

https://www.ted.com/talks/lera_borodits ... anguage=en
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Re: How we talk shapes how we think

Post by kfchugo » 05 Jun 2019, 16:08

What of the current generation of mostly academic failures? Many of the youth I know simply dont seem able to progress to words with a second syllable.

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 05 Jun 2019, 23:39

Perhaps we're still evolving, Hugo. Are they learning skills our ancestors didn't have and losing skills their ancestors (including us) did have? I have to get advice from my grand-kids about modern technology, while able to help them out with what seems like common sense to me. :lol:
I dream, therefore I am.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 06 Jun 2019, 13:26

Even in their 40's, my kids are mostly computer illiterate. They seem disinterested in learning technology for day to day use (just barely able to send an email) and are almost totally reliant on mobile phones for remote communication. Their language skills seem to be devolving into acronyms, abbreviations and a weird kind of shorthand.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jun 2019, 14:51

Good language development is regarded as a key to clear thinking. Subtlety eludes those with poor language skills.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 06 Jun 2019, 15:21

It seems to me that subtlety is at an almost global extinction level.
Us olds will have to embrace and move on, or as our friends die off we'll have no one left to talk to.

Innit

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 06 Jun 2019, 18:32

We seemed to have embraced binary discussion. You're either for or against, and no shades of grey are allowed.