Where are the new members?

Introduce ourselves. If you are a new member, say a few words to let us know you are now part of the Silverpeers fraternity. Our members will welcome you with warm words.

Moderators: godfather, Dreamweaver

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Where are the new members?

Post by kfchugo » 13 Nov 2018, 18:02

I finally took the time to look at our "statistics". We have 52 members (not all are active) and our most recently joined member is Leonie who joined on Feb 19th this year. Given the small number of members who post, not to mention the overall small membership of the site, I think we would all be pretty much familiar with each others views on most matters. Surely it is time to try to attract new members, if only to promote some diversity of opinion and interesting conversation? I will be interested to hear the views and suggestions of other members. :text-thankyou:

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Re: Where are the new members?

Post by Dreamweaver » 13 Nov 2018, 19:45

Go for it, Hugo!
:happy-sunshine:
I dream, therefore I am.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 13 Nov 2018, 20:32

Have we ever tried to attract new members? Seems most are referrals.

lynny
Diamond Member

Post by lynny » 13 Nov 2018, 21:28

I remember that Hans was on the radio promoting us once but that was many moons ago.
Dreamweaver would remember that I think.
Am I right DW? :icon_biggrin:

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Nov 2018, 12:22

Maybe it is time for a "membership drive". If we are in agreement, this would be a good time to "get our house in order"......make sure we have clear rules to be followed.....good moderation to enforce them and a fairly streamlined joining process. I have not looked closely at these things but perhaps our moderators could advise?
We need clear rules as we do have a nice friendly and courteous bunch here and dont want to attract a lot of grouchy old ratbags. I know that I can be a bit ratbaggish at times, but I try to keep it under control.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Nov 2018, 15:37

GF wrote a set of terms and conditions that outline required behaviour. They are viewable in the New Members: Please read section of the Welcome forum. They seem to cover everything.

The joining process isn't streamlined. The doors are locked and if someone wants to join they have to email me. Then we negotiate a time for when I'll open the door to allow them to register. This doesn't always work out. The last would-be member seemed to have some pressing concern or other preventing him from taking advantage of the opportunity and in the end he decided not to bother. The problem for us was that in the meantime he'd let in a swarm of spammers and it took me a while to locate and remove all of them.

The phpBB software doesn't provide the kind of anti-spam security that my other sites have. Also, phpBB doesn't allow me to create user accounts, which would provide a workaround.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Nov 2018, 16:52

Hmmmm.... it seems that we have barriers to joining. Any thoughts on how to address this? Is there any anti-spam software we could utilise. Maybe a time delay for new posters to allow moderators to review? Troublesome posters suspended as a warning and deleted if they persist? I have seen on other fora that members suspended simply rejoin under a new personna.....can we record IP addresses to prevent this.
Sorry if I am making work for you Perry, but I am only too aware of the dangers in attracting a swath of new members.
I am presently basking in the sunshine in Thailand and wont be back in Oz until Dec15. Then, its Christmas..... I am thinking toward the end of January if we are agreed, I might start trying to attract new members......writing to Seniors publications, aged care, other seniors organisations, local newspapers etc. I certainly dont want to be seen as "taking charge" and dont want to do anything without concensus, so I will submit anything I might write BEFORE sending it.
The main thing is to consider the dangers and safeguards to keep this a comfortable and friendly site where we can express opinions without fear of attacks and reprisals. Above all else, we must preserve that.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Nov 2018, 17:00

Silverpeers is a FREE site and I like that. We should not have to pay for the privilege of conversing with others so I would not support a subscription from members. Having said that, I fully realise that there may be costs associated with growing the site - I would have no problem with making a donation (say $100) to assist with this....others may feel likewise to a greater or lesser degree depending on personal circumstances.
Other sites when they have attracted sufficient members make money from advertising - not my favourite thing, but again, there are costs associated with just about everything in life, and it does take SOME funds to run a site.....any thoughts, criticism or complaints?

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Nov 2018, 18:25

Thanks for your concern and support, kfchugo. It's truly appreciated.

I'll give some thought to how we can work around the spamming problem, but I have to upgrade the site to a different version of phpBB first, which may have repercussions in the conversion, and so I'll be treading carefully in that regard.

I'm happy for you to drum up new members. We do need them or we'll become moribund. One or two of our members have departed recently having passed away (to be expected with a site such as this) and this will continue.

Financing is not an issue. This site doesn't cost much to run and I can well afford it. The cost to me is finding time to devote to it as I have many other calls on my time. Nevertheless, I'm proud to be associated with such a well-tempered discussion site (hats off to GF for that). It's rare we have any conflicts and the moderators are quick to resolve them.

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 14 Nov 2018, 19:25

Let me know your preferred email for new members and I might see if I can get a few friends to join in the meantime....other members here might want to do the same. At least that way for starters we can only bring in sensible people we know. Come to think of it, might need to do a psychological assessment on some of my friends.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 14 Nov 2018, 21:00

Dreamweaver
Global Moderator

Post by Dreamweaver » 15 Nov 2018, 08:03

lynny wrote: ↑
13 Nov 2018, 21:28
I remember that Hans was on the radio promoting us once but that was many moons ago.
Dreamweaver would remember that I think.
Am I right DW? :icon_biggrin:
Yes. Hans also was a member of a senior citizens club or a computer users group in Brisbane, I think, from where we gained some members. I think the radio interview included his activities in these fields. Any groups we belong to could be a source of prospective members. Including on-line groups, such as Facebook friends?
I dream, therefore I am.

Teddy
Diamond Member

Post by Teddy » 15 Nov 2018, 11:34

Also where are two of our members? We haven't heard from GD & Buck recently?!

kfchugo
Bronze Member

Post by kfchugo » 15 Nov 2018, 12:42

Buck had been silent for a while, but he was posting again yesterday.

Perrorist
Administrator

Post by Perrorist » 15 Nov 2018, 16:13

It's been a month since GD last posted.